I’m not writing down New Year’s Resolutions this year.
I’ve decided – instead – to create a list that puts all my other to-do lists to shame: This is my combined “30 before 30/Cville Bucket List/Farewell America Tour.”
These upcoming milestones inspired my list:
May 17, 2015 – After two years, my husband Michal graduates with his MBA from Darden. I end my time working at the Women’s Center at U.Va. We leave Charlottesville, our home for the past two years and say farewell to our friends.
August 1, 2015 – We move to Seoul, South Korea! At the end of December 2014, Michal accepted a job offer. We had other options, but we decided to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, as we’ll probably only be abroad for around three years.
September 16, 2015 – I officially say goodbye to my 20s. This last milestone isn’t as life-changing, but it’s still a significant moment to celebrate!
Based on the above, I brainstormed the following. (Disclaimer: Some of these items are less exciting than others, but I’ve included them in here because they’re either activities I’ve wanted to do for a while – or I just need to do them anyway before we move.)
Before leaving Cville:
- Visit all the breweries on Cville’s Brew Ridge Trail.
- Check out the hot springs in Bath County.
- Use my education benefit from U.Va. to take a class. -> Signed up for PR classes this semester
- Go cross-country skiing or snow tubing.
- Visit a cidery and meadery and do tastings.
- Go to a First Friday.
- Try out the remainder of restaurants I’ve bookmarked on Yelp for Charlottesville.
Before leaving U.S.:
- Do a cross-country road trip.
- Hike national parks that Michal visited as a child.
- Go back-country camping.
- Go rock-climbing outdoors.
- Finish our wedding scrapbook. -> We’ll be celebrating our fourth wedding anniversary this year! So it’s about time I complete it!
- Finish my Chicago scrapbook. -> After two years of moving away from the area, I at least have all the photos printed.
- Finish the Cville photo book. -> My close friends through the DPA and I have started to pool all our photos together from the past two years into a Shutterfly account. This one is actually the closest to being done!
- Cook a meal for my mother-in-law.
- Update my resume and LinkedIn profile -> Apply for jobs!
- Sew a T-shirt quilt. -> I have a box of shirts I’ve been collecting to make one – probably more – of these.
- Go to one last Yelp Elite event.
- Try workouts I normally would never do because of their intensity, such as CrossFit or a BootCamp.
- Try a mashup workout like Piloxing or Aqua Spinning.
- Grow my hair out really long, then cut it all off and donate it to Locks of Love.
- Find another TV series that Michal and I can enjoy together, and marathon-watch it from beginning to end. (The Wire is really the only show that we’ve ever both enjoyed watching together on a regular basis.)
- Sell/donate/throw out all of our belongings.
Before turning 30:
- Learn a new language. -> It’s going to be Korean.
- Complete this Book Bingo. (Thanks for the inspiration, Esther and Maddie!)
- Go scuba-diving or snorkeling.
- Keep up with daily devotional reading.
- Research a charity whose cause Michal and I are both passionate about and make a pledge.
- Try cooking one new recipe a week.
- Visit the Philippines with my parents, brother and Michal.
Want to join me on doing any of the above? Or got a suggestion for me to add to the list?